Friday, August 27, 2010

The In-Between Days


This cute little jellyfish is available on my Etsy page as a pattern or a finished piece.

I spent last weekend updating my Etsy shop, hours of photography, posing things, uploading, cropping, and all the whatnot that goes along with internet business. Fyi, I am not a photographer. I crochet things. Until I can crochet pictures of what I make and invariably create a tear in space and time, I will have to find ways to alter my crappy pictures.

I need to be independently wealthy so I can pay someone who knows what they're doing to take pictures of my stuff.

I seem to have wandered into a creative slump. I've made two things since Craft Lake City, and one didn't turn out, which I haven't had happen in a couple years. I've updated my Etsy shop, looked into teaching certification, and been invited to other craft shows, but I haven't been producing new things. Am I pressuring myself too much?

Is it even worth worrying about?

I want to do this for a living (consider this a declaration) but I need to stop pressuring myself on a constant basis. I am not a big-box retailer. Selling three things a day at this point is miraculous and I need to remember that.

Who would've thought crafting would be hard? Which craft event do I pick? What kind of yarn gives me cred? Why did my wee kitty pattern look like a fat not-so-wee cat? Grr. Too many questions.

I have a hard time with the in-between stages. One thing ends, and I flail for a bit, waiting for some sign that it's time to work my butt off again. I can be alarmingly all-or-nothing. That being said, I woke up this morning with the urge to make a list (I like making lists) of what I need to get done and when, so I can make decisions about what direction crocheting will take me the rest of the year.

So, dear reader, enjoy your weekend, make something lovely, and check back to see what neat little thing I will post for you next.

No comments:

Post a Comment